Researcher Cracks iPhone Passcode

Researcher Cracks iPhone Passcode

Researcher Cracks iPhone Passcode

FILE – This Feb. 19, 2014 photo shows the Facebook app icon on an iPhone in New York. Facebook is rolling out a iPhone app that will interpret what’s in a photo using a form of artificial intelligence to recognize faces and objects for blind and visually.

When the FBI spent $1 million to crack the iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino terrorists, one researcher thought that was too high a price.

Now, Sergei Skorobogatov from the University of Cambridge says he has built an inexpensive device to hack the iPhone passcode.

Skorobogatov posted a video on YouTube showing how he did it, claiming it only cost him $100.

At the heart of the hack is removing the so-called Nand chip in the phone, which holds much of the phone’s memory. After figuring out how that chip operated, Skorobogatov built an external chip board to clone the Nand chip.

This allows someone wanting to access the phone to make unlimited attempts to crack the passcode without the phone locking forever.

It took Skorobogatov’s device 40 hours to crack a four-digit passcode. He said it might take hundreds of hours to crack a six-digit code.

Skorobogatov’s work focused on the 5c iPhone, but he said the same vulnerability may be available on iPhone 6 models. He doesn’t know about the newly released iPhone 7.

In December of 2015, Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik murdered 14 people in San Bernardino, California. Law enforcement officials killed the two on the scene, but the FBI thought Farook’s iPhone 5c might have information about who the two were in contact with prior to the attacks.

Apple refused to unlock the phone, citing it would set a bad precedent. The company has not commented on Skorobogatov’s work.

Source VOA

Supreme Court halts hanging of mentally-challenged man

Supreme Court halts hanging of mentally-challenged man

Supreme Court halts hanging of mentally-challenged man

ISLAMABAD:

The top court delayed on Monday for one week the execution of a man who had been declared insane by government doctors, after rights groups urged the government to halt the hanging.

“A mentally ill prisoner who was due to be hanged Tuesday morning has received a seven-day stay from the Supreme Court of Pakistan,” Justice Project Pakistan, an independent rights group, said in a statement.

Imdad Ali had been scheduled to die at 5:30am on Tuesday in a prison in the city of Vehari, Punjab despite having been diagnosed with schizophrenia, it said.

HRW urges Pakistan not to hang mentally ill man

“His execution was stayed pending a hearing on 27 September, but he could still be executed as early as next week,” it said.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) also urged Pakistan on Monday to halt the hanging, saying the execution would violate its international legal obligations.

Ali, who is aged around 50, was sentenced to death for the murder of a religious cleric in 2002. HRW opposes the death penalty in all circumstances, its country representative Saroop Ijaz said.

“But in this case it also violates Pakistan’s international legal obligations,” Ijaz said, referring to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities which Islamabad ratified in 2011.

“Imdad [Ali] has no insight into his punishment or condition or the idea of penalty. Executing someone who does not understand the punishment he or she is being awarded is simply harrowing and serves no criminal justice aim,” he added.

Separately, a psychiatrist who examined Ali over several years and declared him insane in 2012 had said that he was shocked at news of the imminent execution.

“He is a declared insane person,” said Tahir Feroze Khan. “To hear about his death warrant is shocking news for me.”

HRW urges Pakistan not to hang mentally ill man

A medical report seen by AFP said Ali’s speech was incoherent, he frequently spoke and laughed to himself, and he suffered from paranoia and delusions of grandeur.

Despite being officially diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, the Lahore High Court last month rejected arguments that Ali should not be executed because of his illness.

sourc Tribune

Minnesota Mall Attacker Identified as Somali-American

Minnesota Mall Attacker Identified as Somali-American

This image from video provided by KSTP 5 television in Minneapolis, Minnesota, shows people standing outside the scene of a stabbing at the Crossroads Center mall in St. Cloud, Minnesota.

The man who stabbed nine people at a mall in the northern U.S. state of Minnesota has been identified as a 22-year-old Somali-American.

The leader of the Somali community in the state told VOA Somali service that the suspect, who was shot and killed by police during the attack Saturday, was Dahir Adan.

Abdul Kulane said Adan was known to the community, was working as a part-time security officer, and was a “smart and reliable person.”

Kulane said he did not know the motives or the full picture behind the attack. He said he thought the stabbings had no links with terrorism, despite a claim by an Islamic-run news agency that the attack was carried out by a “soldier of the Islamic State.”

Adan’s father, Ahmed Adan, told the Star Tribune newspaper that police told him Saturday night his son, Dahir, died at Crossroads Center mall in St. Cloud. He said police didn’t mention the attack on the mall, but they seized photos and other materials from the family’s apartment.

Authorities have not publicly identified the attacker, whom they say was killed by an off-duty policeman. None of the victims suffered life-threatening injuries.

FBI investigation 

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating the stabbings as a “potential act of terrorism.”

Police Chief William Blair Anderson said the assailant made references to Allah during the knife attack at the Crossroads Center, and even asked if one person was a Muslim.

Anderson stopped short of calling the attack an act of terrorism, saying the motive is not yet clear. “We will be diligent and get to the bottom of this,” he said.

IS has encouraged so-called “lone wolf” attacks, but it also has claimed past attacks that are not believed to have been planned by the group.

St. Cloud is about 110 kilometers northwest of Minneapolis, the state’s largest city.

Source VOA

France Remembers Victims of Terror Attacks in Paris Ceremony

France Remembers Victims of Terror Attacks in Paris Ceremony

France Remembers Victims of Terror Attacks in Paris Ceremony

A ceremony in memory of all victims of terror attacks has been held in Paris as France is still under a state of emergency.

The names of the victims of attacks carried out by Islamic extremists last year in Paris and in July in Nice have been read on Monday during the ceremony, which also remembered those killed in attacks in Brussels, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Mali.

The ceremony, organized by associations of victims, gathered hundreds of families and people injured in the attacks, in the presence of President Francois Hollande.

“Our country had never been attacked to this extent, with such destructive rage, with such barbarian cruelty. That’s why it was so important for names, all names to be evoked,” Hollande said.

He insisted on the need for support, protection and help for survivors and their families. Medical and psychological care must be provided for free, he said.

Hollande promised to reform the system of state indemnities for survivors, but didn’t give any details.

“You’ve been through a tragedy, yet you want to live, you’re fighting for it, and you will stand up again. Your energy is an example,” Hollande told survivors attending the ceremony, praising their force and courage.

Last year’s attacks in Paris, carried out on Nov. 13 on the Bataclan concert hall, cafes and the national stadium by assailants with links to the Islamic State group, killed 130 people.

The Nice attack, carried out on July 14 by an Islamic extremist who drove a truck into crowds gathered for Bastille Day celebrations, left 86 dead.

Yasmine Marzouk, a Muslim woman who survived the Nice attack, said “these barbarians have no law, no faith, no religion. These criminals attacked that day a republican symbol, especially children who represent France’s future, and families — symbols of tolerance, cohesion and love.”

Marzouk, who lost three members of her family in the tragedy, called on the president and his successors to make terror cease so that “the flames of hatred stop fanning between the different religious communities. Lets’ be one single community with our shared values and our differences,” she said.

Security and the fight against terrorism are major issues ahead of France’s presidential election in April-May 2017.

Former President Nicolas Sarkozy and former Prime Minister Alain Juppe, both competing to be the conservative candidate at the election, were also attending the ceremony.

source voA

Anti-Immigrant Party Gathers Support in Germany's Berlin Vote

Anti-Immigrant Party Gathers Support in Germany’s Berlin Vote

Anti-Immigrant Party Gathers Support in Germany’s Berlin Vote

Berlin top candidate of the anti-immigration party Alternative for Germany (AfD) Georg Pazderski (C) and AfD Germany co-leaders Joerg Meuthen (R) and Frauke Petri (L) arrive for their news conference at the Bundespressekonferenz in Berlin, Sept. 19, 2016.

Share

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democrats (CDU) suffered losses Sunday in a Berlin city-state vote, as a growing number of voters express their unease with her refugee-friendly policy.

For the second time in two weeks, voters in Germany gave the CDU a defeat in state elections.

The anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany (AfD) gained from a popular backlash over Merkel’s decision a year ago to keep German borders open for refugees. While finishing in fifth place, AfD won 14 percent of the votes, allowing the three-year-old party to enter its 10th regional assembly among Germany’s 16 states.

Merkel’s CDU came in second with 17 percent of the votes in Berlin, behind the Social Democrats (SPD) with 22 percent.

FILE – AfD federal party chairwoman Frauke Petry is speaking at the start of the Alternative for Germany, AfD, election campaign for the upcoming election in Mecklenburg-West Pomerania.

General discontent

Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung newspaper reported the gains by AfD indicates the party “doesn’t just benefit from discontent in rural areas, but can establish itself… in a city of millions that is known for its open lifestyle.”

Due to heavy losses for CDU and SPD in the Berlin vote, the parties do not have enough support to continue a coalition government together.

The ruling CDU also lost support in elections two weeks ago in Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, while the heavily anti-immigration AfD won nearly 21 percent of the vote.

Merkel, whose government has allowed more than one million people seeking asylum into the country, faces voters in national elections next September.

Source VOA

 

 

PM to focus on India-held Kashmir in UNGA address

PM to focus on India-held Kashmir in UNGA address

NEW YORK: Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif who arrived here on Sunday night will address the 71st session of the United Nations General Assembly tomorrow (Wednesday).

This will be the Prime Minister’s fourth address to the world body in his third term in office.

The Prime Minister will make a policy statement in the United Nations General Assembly General Debate to enunciate Pakistan’s position on key international issues.

The Prime Minister will focus on the Kashmir dispute and will invite the attention of world leaders to the recent surge in state-backed atrocities and systematic violations of fundamental human rights in Indian Occupied Kashmir since the extra judicial killing of Kashmiri youth leader Burhan Wani.

He will also stress the need to find a just and early solution to this longstanding dispute. The Prime Minister will call upon the international community and the United Nations to live up to their promise of the right to self-determination of the people of Jammu and Kashmir in accordance with the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and wishes of the Kashmiri people.

On the sidelines of the UNGA, the Prime Minister will hold bilateral meetings with British Prime Minister, Turkish President, President of Iran, Japanese Premiere, Prime Minister of New Zealand and UN Secretary General H.E. Ban-Ki-moon.  US Secretary of State John Kerry will also call on the Prime Minister.

Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif will also meet a number of world leaders, including Crown Prince/Deputy Prime Minister of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Prime Minister of Nepal and Prime Minister of Romania.

The Prime Minister will explain to world leaders the new shape of diplomacy translated by Pakistan and China into a reality by the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif will make two other statements at the UN in addition to his General Assembly address. Both will be at meetings that are being convened to focus on the global refugee’s crisis. The Prime Minister will also address a business luncheon by USPBC.

Source The Nation

 

Uri attack: Sartaj says Indian accusations 'blatant attempt to divert world attention from Kashmir'

Uri attack: Sartaj says Indian accusations ‘blatant attempt to divert world attention from Kashmir’

Uri attack: Sartaj says Indian accusations ‘blatant attempt to divert world attention from Kashmir’

 

NEW YORK: The Adviser to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs, Sartaj Aziz has categorically rejected India’s “baseless and irresponsible” accusations against Pakistan following Sunday’s attack on Indian troops in Indian Occupied Kashmir, calling it a “blatant” attempt to divert attention from the deteriorating situation in IOK.

In a statement soon after his arrival here from Venezuela, the adviser said, “Pakistan has noted with serious concern the recent spate of vitriolic and unsubstantiated statements emanating from Indian civil and military leadership in the aftermath of yesterday’s attack on Indian occupation forces in the Uri sector of the Indian Occupied Kashmir (IOK)”.

“Pakistan categorically rejects the baseless and irresponsible accusations being leveled by senior officials in Prime Minister Modi’s Government. It is a blatant attempt on India’s part to deflect attention from the fast deteriorating humanitarian and human rights situation in the Indian occupied Kashmir since the death of Burhan Wani”.

“It needs to be understood that the situation in IOK is not of Pakistan’s making but a direct consequence of illegal Indian occupation and a long history of atrocities that has resulted in over a 100 deaths. More than 100 people have died and thousands injured during the recent episode of protest and ongoing curfew in the occupied territory over the past 73 days.”

“A large number of youth have been blinded by the indiscriminate firing of pellet guns. Nobody has been spared the brute state force including the elderly, wounded patients in hospitals as women and children. This should awaken international conscience.”

“It was particularly deplorable that (an) Indian minister chose to blame Pakistan for the incident even prior to conducting proper investigation. The statement is part of a pattern to mislead world opinion and cover up India’s reign of terror in IOK.”

Source The nation

 

SSP Rao Anwar challenges suspension orders in SHC

SSP Rao Anwar challenges suspension orders in SHC

SSP Rao Anwar challenges suspension orders in SHC

KARACHI: Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rao Anwar has filed a petition against his suspension in the Sindh High Court (SHC) on Monday.

District Malir’s SSP was suspended on the orders of Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on September 16 after he arrested Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) lawmaker Khawaja Izharul Hassan.

The plaintiff has remarked that he acted against Khawaja Izhar as per law. Rao Anwar has termed his suspension ‘illegal.’He said the MQM leader was arrested as the court had issued his arrest orders.

He also requested the court to issue directives regarding his reinstatement on the post.

It may be mentioned here that Karachi police released MQM leader Khawaja Izharul Hasan hours after he was arrested from his house in Buffer Zone area in Karachi.

 

Source The Nation

 

Indian Army, battalions along LoC, IAF airbases, on western front on 'full alert, TOI

Indian Army battalions along LoC, IAF airbases on western front on ‘full alert’: TOI

Indian Army battalions along LoC, IAF airbases on western front on ‘full alert’: TOI

NEW DELHI: The Indian Army is going to turn the heat on Pakistan along the 778-km Line of Control (LoC) with concentrated artillery barrages, sniping and other operations, while a section of the Indian security establishment wants the government to also consider “limited but punitive cross-border strikes” to send an unequivocal message to Pakistan, Times of India reported on Monday.

But while “enhanced military pressure” along the LoC is a tactical move to impose some costs on the Pakistan Army for allegedly continuing to aid and abet rebellion in Jammu & Kashmir, the government will have to take a considered decision on conventional cross-border strikes on terror-training camps because of possible escalation into a full-fledged conflict.

Army battalions along the LoC as well as forward IAF airbases on the western front have in any case been put on “full alert” to take care of any contingency, government sources said.

Though “surgical strikes”, covert military operations or “hot pursuits” inside Pakistani territory may not be on the cards as yet, the Army can certainly “bleed” Pakistani troops without crossing the LoC, the newspaper claimed.

Targeted artillery and heavy-mortar fire on Pakistan army posts and bunkers, and intensive sniping to interfere with movement of their patrols are among the several tactical options used in the past. “Yes, there will be retaliation from the other side but it can be dealt with,” said a source.

As for cross-border strikes, some security establishment officials say a political decision has to be taken to send a clear message to Pakistan that “enough is enough”.

A senior official said, “How long will we keep on absorbing terror strikes, from 26/11 to Pathankot , without effectively retaliating?”

Source The nation

 

 

Army takes notice of India’s ‘hostile narrative’

Army takes notice of India’s ‘hostile narrative’

Army takes notice of India’s ‘hostile narrative’

RAWALPINDI: Taking notice of a “hostile narrative being propagated by India”, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Raheel Sharif said Monday the Pakistan Army is “fully prepared to respond to the entire spectrum of direct and indirect threats”.

According to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement, the army chief expressed these views during a meeting of the Corps Commander held here at the General Headquarters.

General Sharif said the army was fully cognizant of and closely watching the latest developments in the region and their impact on national security. He also expressed satisfaction over the operational preparedness of the army.

The conference provided an in-depth review of the external and internal security situation and operational preparedness of the armed forces,

“Pakistan’s armed forces together with our resilient nation have surmounted every challenge and will thwart any sinister design against integrity and sovereignty of the country in future as well,” said General Sharif.

Source; The nation