Alex Pietrangelo focused on training for World Cup

Alex Pietrangelo focused on training for World Cup

After busy summer, Blues captain turns attention to helping Team Canada.

It has been an eventful summer for St. Louis Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.

Pietrangelo already knew he’d be a member of Team Canada for the World Cup of Hockey 2016, which starts Sept. 17, but from getting married to his fiancée, Jayne, in July, to building a second house in his hometown of King City, Ontario, to go with his home in St. Louis, to being named the 21st captain in Blues history on Thursday, Pietrangelo has had a full plate.

He hasn’t allowed all the good things in his life to stop his training for the World Cup.

The majority of the players on Team Canada, one of the favorites to win the World Cup, were members of the Canada roster that won the gold medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

“It’s been a busy summer, getting married and all that. I had to flip the switch pretty quick,” Pietrangelo said. “It’s a little different having to play a month earlier than normal, but definitely excited to start the season. It’s certainly going to be a fun tournament.

“For me, I’ve played with a lot of these guys at the Olympics so to be able to reunite with most of them and have the opportunity to do something special again as a group, that’s a good feeling and it’s going to be some of the best hockey I’ve ever been a part of. I’m lucky and privileged to be named to that team.”

Pietrangelo will be joined on Team Canada’s roster at the World Cup by Blues teammate Jay Bouwmeester, a late replacement for injured defenseman Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Team Canada opens its training camp Sept. 5 in Ottawa.

The Blues ended last season with a six-game loss to the San Jose Sharks in the Western Conference Final. With Pietrangelo and St. Louis hoping for another long playoff run this season, he has given a lot of thought to how much to train and when to scale back.

Pakistan: Cleric-cum-politician furious over return of Ahmadiyya owned schools in Rabwah

Pakistan: Cleric-cum-politician furious over return of Ahmadiyya owned schools in Rabwah

 

These Ahmadiyya run institutions were nationalised and taken over by the government in 1972, according to an Ahmadiyya website. Since 1972 these had been managed by the Government of the Punjab. 

Minister for School Education Rana Mashhood Ahmad Khan was grilled during the Question Hour at the Punjab State Assembly over the department’s decision to hand over a number of schools to private organisations.

Malik said, according to an Express Tribune report, that 8,000 schools in the Punjab had been closed and he defended the public-private partnership strategy in general. He said that schools under private supervision were reporting better results than government schools.

Further, according to the Express Tribune, the Pakistan Peoples Party’s Faiza Malik made disparaging remarks about a parliamentary committee involved in the procedural aspects of the school transfer. However, the speaker expunged the remarks.

In the matter of schools previously owned by Ahmadiyya community, a cleric and Nawz group politician, Maulana Ghayasuddin, expressed his concern at the alleged transfer of government schools back to the Ahmadiyya community and organisations associated with it.

These Ahmadiyya run institutions were part of the privately run schools that were nationalised and taken over by the government in 1972, according to an Ahmadiyya community website. While, over time, other nationalised institution were handed back to their originals owners, the Ahmadiyya owned institution were never returned and since 1972, these had been managed by the Government of the Punjab.

The Ahmadiyya community has claimed that “these institutions, apart from a sharp decline in their educational standards, are now suffering from gross neglect by officials, and the lack of proper maintenance has severely affected their physical state.”

“The situation is nothing short of criminal neglect,” it is further asserted.

However, according to the Express Tribune, Maulna Ghayasuddin alleged “in a fiery speech” that such actions would lead to deterioration in the standards of education.

Neither the minister nor the Chair responded to his speech, the Express Tribune stated.

Pakistan: Cleric-cum-politician furious over return of Ahmadiyya owned schools in Rabwah

This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Times of Ahmad. Times of Ahmad is not an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, nor in any way associated with any of the community’s official websites.

Sri Lanka: President says no to break civil liberties of Muslims

The President had emphasized that there no reports from the intelligence services that ISIS terrorist organization is having links and is a target in this country.

One security staff personnel, a head of a security force had brought in a proposal at a crucial security staff meeting the other day to ban the Muslim women wearing the ‘Burka”. To this proposal, President Maithripala Sirisena had not agreed.

This proposal had been brought forward with the clear intention to prevent the ISIS Islam principles in cultivating roots for Islamic terror. When the proposal was put forward the President had asked whether there had been any clues identified in regard to this attempt.

However, there had been only two instances of involving the “Burka” that have been reported. One instance had been when a husband had come disguised wearing a “Burka”while returning from the Katunayake International airport to surprise his wife and the other instance was when thieves had entered a bank in Kandy area to rob the bank.

The President had added that some European countries are making attempts to ban the “Burka” but  it cannot be allowed here as in such a background like what had happened in the past era when the religious conflicts and clashes took place, such repetition of events would take place.

The President had emphasized that there no reports from the intelligence services that ISIS terrorist organization is having links and is a target in this country. Hence in these contexts, there is no necessity to raise alarms and in such a proposal to ban the “Burka” in this country. However, the President had stated that not to listen to certain extremist persons in some organizations on this matter.

This view of the President was endorsed by the Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe and the Minister of Foreign Affairs Mangala Samaraweera.

This content-post is archived for backup and to keep archived records of any news Islam Ahmadiyya. The views expressed by the author and source of this news archive do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of Times of Ahmad. Times of Ahmad is not an organ of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community, nor in any way associated with any of the community’s official websites.

 

Source/Credit: Lanka web news

Man, 26, dead, parents injured in collision with TTC bus

Man, 26, dead, parents injured in collision with TTC bus

TORONTO - A young man was killed and his parents badly hurt when their car crashed into the back of a TTC bus in Scarborough Tuesday morning.

A Nissan Versa, with three people inside, rear-ended the vehicle while it was stopped in the southbound bus lane on Warden Ave. at Finch Ave. E. around 6:30 a.m.

“It’s so sad,” Sgt. Dora Pavlidis, of traffic services, said at the scene Tuesday. “It’s a family.”

She said a woman, 52, was behind the wheel of the Nissan and her husband, 58, was in the passenger seat.

The couple, who are believed to have been buckled up, was rushed to Sunnybrook hospital with serious injuries.

Their 26-year-old son, who was in the backseat, was killed in the crash.

“There is a good possibility that he was not wearing a seatbelt,” Pavlidis said.

The victim’s name was not immediately released.

The family live in the Toronto area, Pavlidis said.

The TTC vehicle remained parked in the bus lane at a stop on the north side of the intersection following the crash.

The front end of the compact Nissan was demolished and the deployed driver’s side airbag was stained with blood. There were no visible skid marks on the road behind the car.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross said none of the passengers were injured.

“The bus driver was shaken up but was physically OK,” Ross said.

Why the car rammed into the back of the bus is still under investigation.

Officers will be looking at an assortment of possible factors such as medical impairment, distraction and excessive speed.

The Nissan will also be examined to determine if there was any mechanical issues with the vehicle, Pavlidis said.

She urged any witnesses who have not yet spoken to police to come forward.

iRabwah | News Watch |
Source/Credit: Torontosun 

Messages about Islam stereotypical in Canada

Messages about Islam stereotypical in Canada 

Re: Extremist literature common in mosques, Islamic school libraries, study says (Aug. 22)

News coverage of the recent study titled Lovers of the Death? — Islamist Extremism in Mosques and Schools undermines the work many Muslim communities have undertaken in Canada.

To the effect they suggest all mosques are perpetuating extremist and violent messages, these articles are inaccurate, generalized and stereotypical.

Looking up Canadian news coverage of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at, one would actually question if there is any merit to these arguments whatsoever. From relentlessly promoting “Love for all, hatred for none” (our motto), to running nationwide campaigns in colleges and universities across the country to counter extremist ideology, such as “Stop the CrISIS,” our efforts toward peace are endless.

Thus, as a Canadian-born Muslim student, I am upset. I would hope more efforts are made in Canada toward strengthening and building the values that make us a strong country — diversity, multiculturalism and understanding. In order to accomplish this, our discussions need to be more productive and offer solutions rather than sheer criticism.

iRabwah | News Watch |
Source/Credit: Winnipeg Free Press

Admissions Open in AIOU

Admissions Open in AIOU
Welcome to Allama Iqbal Open University, the first distance Education University in South Asia that caters to the Educational needs of 1.3 million students to enable them to study at their own place,at their own pace and at their own convenience.
To apply for admission please click on link below

Third ODI: Big-hitting Hales brings up century as Pakistan bowlers toil

Third ODI: Big-hitting Hales brings up century as Pakistan bowlers toil

Hasan Ali celebrates Jason Roy's wicket.
Hasan Ali celebrates Jason Roy’s wicket.
Roy and Hales started the proceedings on a high note for the hosts, scoring boundaries at regular intervals. — AFP
Roy and Hales started the proceedings on a high note for the hosts, scoring boundaries at regular intervals. — AFP
Roy, after scoring 15 off 19 balls, gloved the 38th ball in the air for Sarfraz Ahmed to safely collect it. — Reuters
Roy, after scoring 15 off 19 balls, gloved the 38th ball in the air for Sarfraz Ahmed to safely collect it. — Reuters
Hales completes a run. — AFP
Hales completes a run. — AFP
Hasan Ali celebrates Jason Roy's wicket.
Hasan Ali celebrates Jason Roy’s wicket.
Roy and Hales started the proceedings on a high note for the hosts, scoring boundaries at regular intervals. — AFP
Roy and Hales started the proceedings on a high note for the hosts, scoring boundaries at regular intervals. — AFP

England opener Alex Hales registered his career’s fourth One-Day International (ODI) century as the hosts piled up 166 runs for the loss of one wicket after 25 overs during the third of the five-match series against Pakistan at Trent Bridge, Nottingham.

The right-hander sneaked a single with a gentle push on the leg-side off Yasir Shah to reach three figures.

Reaching half-century mark in the 17th over, the local boy upped his scoring rate in the 23rd over when he piled up 20 runs off Pakistan captain Azhar Ali’s over.

Searching for a breakthrough, Azhar introduced himself into the attack only to be hammered for three fours and six — all coming off Hales’ bat.

Roy, after scoring 15 off 19 balls, gloved the 38th ball of the innings in the air for Sarfraz Ahmed to safely collect it.

England were 38 for one, when the star of the first ODI fell.

Replacing Roy, Root settled himself by snatching a boundary off Ali early on in his innings.

Earlier, Roy and Hales started the proceedings on a high note for the hosts, scoring boundaries at regular intervals.

The first two fours, however, came due to the misfields by Mohammad Nawaz and Babar Azam in the first and the second over respectively.

Hales scores his career's fourth century. — Reuters
Hales scores his career’s fourth century. — Reuters

Toss

Eoin Morgan elected to bat first after winning the toss. Talking to Michael Holding after the English captain’s decision, Pakistan captain Azhar Ali admitted that he would have loved to bat first.

Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Nawaz replaced Imad Wasim, who was forced to sit out due to knee injury.

The visitors have had a disastrous start to the series as they lost the first and second ODIs by 44 runs (D/L method) and four wickets respectively, hence putting themselves under immense pressure to win the Nottingham game and keep their series-winning chances alive.

England, on the other hand, will be looking to seal the series by beating Pakistan in the third consecutive clash between the two sides.

Pitch and weather report: The wicket is deemed to be a flat and hard, making it a good batting surface. The sun is basking on the picturesque Trent Bridge ground.

Team line-ups

Pakistan

Azhar Ali (capt.), Sami Aslam, Sharjeel Khan, Babar Azam, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk.), Shoaib Malik, Yasir Shah, Wahab Riaz, Hasan Ali, Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Nawaz

England

Eoin Morgan (capt.), Jason Roy, Alex Hales, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (wk.), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Liam Plunkett, Mark Wood

Source : DAWN SPORT

Chiniot – Tyre Blast killed Three Motor Bikers

 Chiniot – Tyre Blast killed Three Motor Bikers

According to c47 news a fast truck driver crushed three motor bikers due to the blast of the tyre.

All the three passengers died on the spot. And three persons also injured in this incident.

The injured persons rushed to the hospital by the rescues 1122 team.

The deceased persons identified as Ghulam Abbas, Muhammad Nawaz and Mubshir. All the persons belong to Mozabanglawala near lalia.

Longtime Google exec leaves Uber board of directors

Longtime Google exec leaves Uber board of directors
A self-driving car traverses a parking lot at Google’s headquarters in Mountain View, California ─ AFP

SAN FRANCISCO: Google executive David Drummond left the Uber board of directors Monday as competition revs up between the companies over self-driving cars.

“I recently stepped down from Uber’s board given the overlap between the two companies,” Google chief legal officer Drummond said in a statement.

Drummond noted that Google remains an “enthusiastic investor” in the on-demand ride-sharing service.

Uber co-founder and chief executive Travis Kalanick said Drummond had been a “sage advisor and great personal friend,”” and adding that he was looking forward to continued cooperation between the companies.

Google parent Alphabet and San Francisco-based Uber have both been working on getting self-driving cars on roads, with their relationship evidently getting bumpier as efforts gain traction.

Uber recently announced plans to deploy driverless cars for its ride-sharing services in Pittsburgh this month, pushing the envelope for the use of self-driving technology.

Uber said the program would begin with the cars carrying company “co-pilots,” engineers and safety personnel.

Google executive David Drummond has left the Uber board of directors ─ AFP
Google executive David Drummond has left the Uber board of directors ─ AFP

At the same time, Uber also announced two other moves to further solidify itself as a trailblazer in driverless cars.

It established a $300 million venture with Chinese-owned, Sweden-based Volvo Cars to develop self-driving cars for sale by 2021.

And Uber is buying Otto, a San Francisco startup developing self-driving commercial trucks.

For the past two years, Uber has made a strong push into developing self-driving car technology.

Uber and Volvo were two of the founding members of a coalition unveiled in April to push for a unified US legal code on self-driving cars ─ a group that also includes Google, carmaker Ford and Uber rival Lyft.

Autonomous cars are among big-vision ideas pursued by Google’s X Lab.

A car industry executive was hired last year to turn it into its own company at Google parent Alphabet. Google has driven its autonomous cars some 1.5 million miles (2.4 million kilometres) with only some minor dust-ups.

In May, the company announced plans for its self-driving car program to put down roots in the Detroit area with a technology centre.

The facility will house engineers and others testing vehicles provided by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Alphabet said at the time.

The collaboration with Fiat Chrysler marked the first time the internet giant has worked directly with an automaker to build self-driving vehicles.

The tech giant began testing its autonomous driving technology in 2009 using a Toyota Prius equipped with Google equipment.

It now has some 70 vehicles, including Lexus cars, adapted by Google in addition to its in-house designed cars unveiled in 2014.

Source : Dawn News 

Why I believe Pakistanis are the most gracious people in the world

Why I believe Pakistanis are the most gracious people in the world

My mother was forced to leave behind the city of her birth, Rawalpindi, when she was just 18 because of the tumultuous ruptures of Partition. She had never returned. When she was to turn 75, I thought the best gift I could give her was to take her, if it was at all possible, to the city and to the home in which she was born.

I emailed my friends in Pakistan tentatively with my plan. They were immediately very welcoming.

“Just get her a visa, leave the rest to us,” they said. I applied for visas for my parents and the rest of my family. It seemed then a small miracle that we got these easily. I booked our flight tickets, and before long we were on our way.

Source Dawn News