THE EXPRESS TRIBUNE > SPORTS Due to insufficient funds: Taekwondo contingent denied Canadian visas

THE EXPRESS TRIBUNE > SPORTS Due to insufficient funds: Taekwondo contingent denied Canadian visas

KARACHI: 

The Pakistan Taekwondo Federation’s (PTF) campaign for the 2016 World Junior Taekwondo Championship has been dealt a major blow as host country Canada refused to issue visas to two of the four traveling athletes as well as three officials for the event which begins on November 14 in Burnaby.

Among the personnel refused visas are PTF president Waseem Ahmed, athletes Zaheer Baig and Obdoon Butt as well as coaches Najia Khan and Rizwan Bangash.

Ahmed admitted that the visa setback came as a shock as the players had been training for two and a half months.

“It is very upsetting and extremely disappointing. We had fulfilled all the formalities and the government also gave us the NOCs,” Ahmed told The Express Tribune. “The Pakistan Sports Board was also supporting us so it is just mind-boggling why we were not issued the visas. Our players are 15 and 16-year-olds while all the officials are well-travelled individuals.”

 

He continued: “We’ve raised the issue with World Taekwondo Federation and the organisers as countries like ours should not be treated in this manner.”

The PTF supremo then revealed that the reason given for their refusal of visas was ‘insufficient funds’ in PTF’s account.

“They raised the issue that we don’t have enough money, but we actually do, as the Pakistan government also gave us Rs1 million for this event. Of course, we don’t have extra money but we had enough to participate and return to Pakistan,” Ahmed explained.

 

The visa issue does not affect US-based athletes Mahnoor and Nimra Wasiq, who will be competing at the championship.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 9th, 2016.

Mohammad Amir signs for Essex

Mohammad Amir signs for Essex

LONDON: 

Pakistan fast-bowler Mohammad Amir will join Essex in 2017 after the English county announced his signature for the second half of next season on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old left-arm pacer, who completed a five-year ban for spot-fixing last year, will link up with Essex on June 19 after the Champions Trophy in England.

“I am very excited about becoming part of the Essex family,” Amir told the Essex website. “(Head coach) Chris Silverwood and (chairman) Ronnie Irani have both been very supportive over the summer. I’m hoping I can carry on Essex’s success this season and achieve more for the club in 2017.”

 

Amir, who has 140 international wickets to his name across all formats, will play for Essex in both the County Championship and domestic T20 Blast competition. Essex were promoted from Division Two last season.

The left-armer’s career was almost ended when he was caught up in a spot-fixing scandal in 2010 following Pakistan’s tour of England. However, after returning to domestic cricket last year, he made his return to international cricket this year and took 12 wickets in four Tests during Pakistan’s tour of England.

half of the 2017 campaign,” said Silverwood. “He showed a real desire to be a part of the club and the fact we have him for two competitions is a real bonus.”

The head coach added: “He is still only young, but has proved himself at international level already, so it is a real coup to get this signing completed.”

 

Rabwah |Protest against encroachment in Bazar|Burning tires and furniture|Roads Blocked|

Tonight a protest raised against the authorities who took operation against encroachments in Rabwah bazar and removed all illegal possessors.

All possessors were aggressive due to the strict action of authorities and they raised with a aggressive protest in the mid of Bazar (near Railway Crossing). They burned tires and furniture in aggression.

While police were also came on time and handled the situation very well and bound protesters to protest in a specific place. While public is facing lots of problems due to the blocked roads.

While public is of the view that the action of authorities is good and the illegal possessors must be removed from the Bazar so the roads become wide and passing of traffic become easy in Bazar.

20161109_180428

 

20161109_180428

 

 

Sindh Governor Ishratul Ibad removed from office

Sindh Governor Ishratul Ibad removed from office

After 14 years in office, Ishratul Ibad has been replaced as governor Sindh, it emerged Wednesday.

Ibad has been replaced by a former chief justice of Pakistan, Justice Saeeduz Zaman Siddiqui. Siddiqui was among the aspiring candidates for the post of president in 2003 and 2008.

Siddiqui confirmed the development while talking to DawnNews, saying he is going to assume the office. He said that restoration of law and order in Karachi would be his first priority.

“I will try my best to address the issues of people,” he said.

“I believe that maintaining peace in Karachi is the joint responsibility of both the provincial government and the governor. If peace is maintained in the city, businesses will flourish and people will take a sigh of relief,” he said while emphasising the need of peace in the province.

He said that after taking oath he will review the issues of funds and powers so as to put the matter of local government in order.

“We also need to look into the political divisions in the city so as to utilise political segments in order to resolve problems of the people.”

He said Ibad was removed due to “recent controversies”.

The decision to replace the governor was taken by the federal government. The governor’s office declined to comment on the matter.

Ishratul Ibad

Ishratul Ibad began his political career as a worker of the All Pakistan Mohajir Students Organisation when he was studying in Karachi’s Dow Medical College.

Ibad contested the general elections in 1990 on a provincial assembly constituency as a candidate of the Mohajir Qaumi Movement-backed Haq Parast group and became a minister in the Jam Sadiq Ali cabinet.

He went underground to avoid arrest after an army operation was launched against the MQM in June 1992 and surfaced a year later in London, where he obtained political asylum.

While he was very close to Altaf Hussain, he maintained a low profile in the MQM until 2002 when he became the acting convener of the MQM’s coordination committee after Altaf Hussain removed then convener Dr Imran Farooq from the post.

He was considered as “man of crises” among MQM cadres.

Ibad became Sindh’s youngest governor on Dec 27, 2002 as a representative of then president Gen Pervez Musharraf. He has served as Sindh governor for nearly 14 years.

The Dawn News source

Donald Trump elected 45th president of U.S. in epic upset of Hillary Clinton

Donald Trump elected 45th president of U.S. in epic upset of Hillary Clinton

Americans fed up with eight years of a sluggish economy and a growing disconnect with their leaders in Washington voted Tuesday to send businessman and political novice Donald Trump to the White House, guaranteeing one of the biggest shakeups in political history.

Wins in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin gave him enough projected electoral votes to defeat former first lady, former senator and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, whose quarter-century in Washington — and the long list of stumbles, including a scandal over a secret email server — made her anathema for too many voters.

Mrs. Clinton had been seeking to make history as the first woman to win the White House, but instead the 70-year-old Mr. Trump made history of another sort, becoming the first person elected to the top job without having held a high government office or military command.

His victory upends a Washington establishment that voters said had lost touch with folks back home, and is a searing rebuke to President Obama, who had pleaded with voters that his hope-and-change agenda was at stake in this election.

Mr. Trump powered his campaign with a simple mantra to “Make America great again” and he vowed to live up to that charge as president, saying he would rebuild the country’s inner cities, improve care for veterans, double economic growth and forge alliances with other nations willing to work with him.

 

Donald Trump wins presidential election, plunging US into uncertain future

Donald Trump shattered expectations on Tuesday with an election night victory that revealed deep anti-establishment anger among American voters and set the world on a journey into the political unknown.

The Republican nominee has achieved one of the most improbable political victories in modern US history, despite a series of controversies that would easily have destroyed other candidacies, extreme policies that have drawn criticism from both sides of the aisle, a record of racist and sexist behaviour, and a lack of conventional political experience.

After surprise early victories in Florida, North Carolina and Ohio, it fell to the Rust Belt states of the industrial midwest to determine the result of his stunning upset.

Wisconsin and Michigan, two states hit hard by a decline in manufacturing jobs and lost by Hillary Clinton to Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary, were led by Trump as the race headed for an early morning cliffhanger.

A 2.30am, the Associated Press projected Trump had won Wisconsin and called the overall race for Trump, who passed the 270 electoral college votes he needed to secure the presidency.

Shortly afterwards, CNN and NBC reported that Clinton had called Donald Trump to concede but would not be making a public address.

Trump left Trump Tower for the short journey to the Hilton Midtown, where the president elect then took to the stage and insisted he would “deal fairly with everyone”.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, complicated business, complicated business,” began Trump to raucous chants of “U-S-A, U-S-A” from his excited supporters.

“I have just received a call from secretary Clinton She congratulated us – it’s about us and our victory – and I congratulated her on a very hard fought campaign.

“Now it is time for Americans to bind the wounds of division,” he added. “It is time for us to become together as one united people … I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be president for all Americans.”

Earlier, Democratic campaign chairman John Podesta appeared before distraught supporters to announce that she would not be appearing to give a concession speech. “Everybody should head home,” he told them, “Get some sleep. We’ll have more to say tomorrow.

“It’s been a long night and a long campaign,” he added. “We can wait a little longer, can’t we? They are still counting votes and every vote counts, several states are too close to call so we are not going to have anything more to say tonight.”

“This is a historic night,” said the vice-president-elect, Mike Pence, in the first official Republican response. “The American people have spoken and the American people have elected their new champion.”

Republicans have also secured majorities in the House of Representatives, the Senate and will probably get to reappoint a fifth Republican nominee to the supreme court – potentially leaving the new president with few checks and balances.

Investors reeled from the prospect of a victory that would reverberate around the world and futures markets pointed to a fall of nearly 600 points in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

As results started to come in, two candidates with very different views of America were watching television just two minutes’ walk from each other: the Clintons at the Peninsula Hotel in midtown Manhattan and the Republican team in Trump Tower.

But the mood in the Trump camp shifted early after signs of a strong performance in Florida and Clinton supporters began contemplating the consequences of a result few thought was possible.

 

Credit: www.theguardian.com